After going several weeks without much sleep, trying to help Bern New York, I got a solid 8 hours last night (sleep is important people). Today I opened my eyes with the sun beaming outside and a smile on my face. Though it may seem that we lost last night, we actually WON!
New York is the most corrupt state in the union. Ever since I moved here a few years ago I have been talking about the systematic injustice in place, and not many people cared. I have been talking about New Yorkers being jaded. I actually wrote about some of this a year ago.
Yesterday, however, we decided to finally fight a rigged system that has been in place for DECADES! In a short period, against all odds, we got 42% of the votes and won a majority of the counties. Plus, think about what we have exposed:
- Closed primaries that require voters to change party affiliations 6 months prior to the election. We should have open primaries.
- New voter registrations with a deadline that is 25 days prior to the election. We should have automatic or same-day registrations.
- Hundreds of thousands purged from the voter rolls triggering an investigation by the NY Comptroller.
- New registrants not on the voter rolls. Party affiliations not being switched. Shit, I spent countless hours just getting my vote. I can’t imagine how many others gave up, and I can’t blame them.
- Polling places that were closed or opened later than they were supposed to.
- I’m sure many of you will add a ton of other things to this list.
New York was asleep and our movement has woken up the people and activated us, with hopes that we will keep fighting in every election. Our movement is raising all the issues our country has needed to discuss for a very long time, and we will continue doing so as we march all the way to the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. We may wear Bernie hats, shirts, pins, and stickers, but if you have paid attention to what he says, this isn’t about Bernie. This is about US!
So, mark your dates for the convention, July 25-28, when we get to collectively bring our voices together from all parts of America to say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. I am so proud of us and you should be too.
Today, New York is passing the torch to CT, DE, MD, PA, and RI. Bern up your states, and make us proud fam!